Friday, January 23, 2009

Purpose of this Blog

Over the past 30+ years, a counter-movement has developed to fight groups classified as destructive cults. A number of people have noted that certain key individuals and others involved in anti-cult activities, have, themselves become quite cult-like in their behaviors. One example would be shouting down anyone who even remotely challenges the cherished beliefs of this movement or in any way attempts to bring balance to discussions on cults. I have been the target of this in recent years when I have challenged certain notions put forth by anti-Scientologists. While I am not a supporter or fan of Scientology, it is my opinion that statements made by anti-Scientologists are often made without any kind of support and deserve to be challenged. I began to write about this topic on another blog I have that explores unsubstantiated claims being made in the mental health profession. As I found myself posting on the topic of certain claims being made by anti-cultists, I began to realize that a new blog exclusively devoted to that topic would be a good idea. Thu, this blog will explore issues surrounding the anti-cult movement, particularly claims being made and their evidence or lack, thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment